Due to its hilltop location,
the 'Cathédrale Saint-Louis de Blois' can be
seen from almost anywhere in and around the
fine city of Blois. Unlike most great
cathedrals it has only one tower, this is
probably because it started of life as a
church (collegiate church of Saint-Solenne)
before being elevated
to cathedral status in 1697 and dedicated to
Saint Louis.This was after major
reconstruction that was needed after a storm
had destroyed much of the roof of the nave
and many of the windows in 1678.
Inside might be considered
rather stark compared to the interiors of
Chartres and Tours but it is an impressive
structure none the less.
You will love
the vaulted ceilings...
Bombing during World War II destroyed most of the windows of the
cathedral but they have, over time, been expertly replaced or
The crypt which holds the
relics of Saint-Solenne is the only
remaining part of a 12th century church that
was on the site.
The church's organ was a gift
from Louis XIV, presented just after the
The cathedral's baptismal font.
Back to Blois
Back to top.